Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Dying Breed

Growing up, I would watch television just because I enjoyed it. Whether it be for the comical pleasure it brought me, or maybe it was because it brought me out of reality for that half hour or so that the show or cartoon was on. I'm starting to lean more towards the latter. We don't realize it often, but as a kid, we had our share of emotional and mental problems to deal with. It could've been that bully at school, the loads of homework that our teachers would pile on us, or just not getting things our way.
Regardless, I would watch these cartoons, or these movies and think, "Man, if only I could be Cody(from Step By Step) for a day." These characters inside the TV screen became my idols and I somehow thought of them as immortal. If you would've told me back then that in 15 years, that some of these T.V. or movie stars would be dropping like flies, I'd proceed to tell you that you were bonkers. But it's happening.



River Phoenix, now he died in 1993 but i didn't find out until about 5 years ago. His claim to fame was Stand By Me. The older brother of Joaquin Phoenix, was also a singer/songwriter. After his death, Red Hot Chili Peppers featured him in their song "Give it away", {There's a River to be a giver, keep you warm won't let you shiver, his heart is never gonna wither...}


Jim Varney, 2000. A little more well known, and a little more recent. He starred in the "Ernest..." series of movies. This guy was definitely one of my favorites





Rosetta LeNoire, 2002. She played Estelle "Mother" Winslow in Family Matters, one of the many shows i loved.





Johnathon Brandis, 2003. Famous for his role in "The Never Ending Story" series of movies.



Fred Rogers, 2003. Everyone, I'm sure has seen "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" once or twice in their life...



Brad Nowell, 1996. Lead Singer of Sublime. Just when I was beginning to love his music he went and passed away.




Corey Haim, 2010. Most recent of the bunch. His claim to fame was "The Lost Boys" and "Lucas" It's a terrible shame, too, because he was just starting to get his life back together.





These were just a few of the celebrities that passed away within the last 20 years that have impacted my life in one way or another. If I missed anyone, feel free to mention so in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me your thoughts and critical criticism(be it negative or positive).